I started out building a reprap prusa 2, from a set of materials purchased through a groupbuy.
I never did get that machine to print well, so ultimately I decided to rebuild it with some more modern components and around a sturdier frame. All components are now either lasercut, milled or cast.
- the frame is a lasercut stainless steel p3steel 2.01 which I got from OrballoPrinting in Spain
- the aluminum X axis and X carriage and the lead screws for the Z axis come from AliExpress
- the machine is controlled by a sanguinololu
- the extruder is a Bulldog XL
- the hotend a genuine J-Head MK V-BV, but with the heating resistor replaced with a ceramic heater cartridge
- the bed consists of two layers MDF surrounding a 220V heating mat, a milled 6mm cast aluminum plate and a 3mm carbon fiber top surface (it can go from cold to printing in about two minutes)
- for easy adjustment I've used a hall sensor for the Z axis endswitch, the X and Y have regular mechanical endswitches